Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Biscuits


No, I did not make a bunch of biscuits. Nor is this a recipe for biscuits. The Biscuits is the name of our local minor league baseball team. Lee's co-worker was nice enough to get us some tickets, so we took a break from the farm and went to a game on Saturday evening. It was a lot of fun. I learned a little more about baseball (I know next to nothing) and enjoyed watching the kids cheer the team on.


Yes, that is actually a biscuit on the scoreboard. What a strange mascot for a baseball team. The Biscuits' owners selected the team's nickname from an entry in a "name the team" contest, due in part to the potential marketing and pun possibilities (ex. "Hey, Butter, Butter, Butter" or the team's souvenir store, the "Biscuit Basket"). During games, biscuits are shot from an air cannon, into the stands.
I know, weird.
We had some chili dogs and I got the kids some peanuts. We were not lucky enough to catch any biscuits.
This little monkey caught a ball that volunteers were just throwing to the audience.
This little monkey did not. But, someone who caught a ball in front of us
turned around and gave one to him. So sweet. It still did not make the little monkey feel better. Can we say bedtime?

During the game, when the batters came up, songs would play according to
their name to make fun of them. So, for example, this guys last name was Barney. So,
what did they play every time he came up? Yes, the Barney song. "I love you, you love me, were a happy family..." Evil. Pure Evil. I had that stuck in my head all night. Annoying dinosaur. He has always been banned from my house just because he is so annoying. He is right up there with Sponge Bob Square Pants and Gilbert Godfrey. They are not allowed in the house either. Worse than nails on a chalkboard. *Shudder*


This is another team mascot, Big Mo. He looks like an elephant but has an anteater
tail. Weird. So much about this team is just weird. Well, he dances and does funny skits.
The kids really liked watching him.



The night ended with fireworks and Sweet Home Alabama.
I have heard this song one million times since November and
I am still not tired of hearing it.
I love this song.
Oh, and the Biscuits lost.


No comments: