Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Back on Track.








I ran today for the first time in 8 months. I almost forgot how much I love running. It is so much a part of who I am. I have felt so incomplete and off without my normal routine. Without running, I am not as disciplined in other areas, I have low energy and my legs turn to a gelatinous mass.


Seriously though, I do not run to lose weight or even maintain it. I run because it is the closest I can get to flying. It frees my heart, my mind, and my soul. It clears my head, keeps me centered and gives me time to think without hearing "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, MOMMY!" I love hearing that most of the day, but sometimes a gal just needs quiet.

"Well, if it is so important then why haven't you done it in 8 months?" Well, because I hurt my foot doing something really stupid. Also, we moved and my life has been chaotic ever since. I am used to moving. I have been married to an Airman for almost 14 years. This move just encompassed so much more than usual and took me much longer to settle in. Also, my foot hurt for months and I did not want to re-injure it. I am so glad things have settled down enough for me to resume running.

The run itself was slightly entertaining. The first thing I saw when I walked outside to stretch was a dead mouse. The third one this week. On my front porch. It was awesome. I almost posted a picture but did not want to gross you out so early in the morning. My cats are doing their job. When they are not out getting themselves knocked up that is.

The birds were singing and my neighbors horses were neighing. It was a beautiful morning. As I made my way around the property, the scent from the honeysuckle was intoxicating. Not only could I smell it, I could taste it. I inhaled deeply as I ran along taking in every bit of it I could. Until I got to the goat pen. I choked and spat and almost revisited breakfast. Goat smell does NOT have the same intoxicating effect. More like an offensive stench.



"Wha..?? Us, Stink? Never.


Since I live out in the country, there is not really a safe place to run. There are gravel roads with no shoulder that people speed down, so that is not an option. I do have a treadmill but I hate, hate, hate, running on treadmills. I need to have moving scenery around me. I need to hear things and keep my brain stimulated. I would rather poke myself in the eye with a fork than run on a treadmill. So, I run around our property. It does make me feel a bit like a hamster on a wheel but that's okay. I enjoy being outside.

The flowers were in bloom, the birds were out and it smelled heavenly. There was also something crashing through the woods. I just told myself over and over that it was a deer. Not a bobcat stalking and waiting to eat me. Maybe I should start running with a stick. Or a bat. Or pepper spray.

Have a great day.

No comments: