Friday, July 9, 2010

It's a jungle out there


Oh, what a tangled web we weave
When we simply refuse to weed.



It took me 10 hours all together to weed the garden.

It. was. that.bad.

I find it totally disgusting that the weeds are thriving so. We have had barely any rain this summer along with scalding temperatures with heat indexes up to 113. My veggies are suffering but the weeds, oh the weeds are growing like crazy. Grass will grow up through the wood chips in the garden and reach the heights of my thigh with no effort.

However, planting grass seed around the house is a whole other matter. I tenderly tilled the soil, added home-grown fertilizer, spread the seed at just the right setting on the spreader and watered like crazy. I yelled when the kids or animals walked on it and willed it to grow. Nothing. Nada..zip.

Apparently, I need to thickly cover the lawn with wood chips, neglect the grass and pull one sprig of grass to make 100 more pop up. Yes, a change in strategy.. I've just had the wrong approach all along.


Well, at least the weeds are out of the garden for now. Enjoy it because I'm sure that by this time next week it will look just as bad as before I weeded.

2 comments:

Tina said...

You should see my butterfly garden...looks like a weed garden instead.

Head over to my blog. I left something there for you :)

Laney said...

Bless your weedin' little heart!:-)