Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Cramming....

It seems like I have been doing a lot of cramming lately. Cramming home school, cramming farm work, marathon training, and fun. That is not necessarily a bad thing. We have been getting a lot accomplished and that feels very good. Now, I have to do a lot of cramming in my blog update because I have been neglecting it.



We actually got 4 inches of snow here in lower Alabama. It lasted for a full day. The kids really enjoyed playing in the snow, making snow men and snow angels. Except for Brandon. He had surgery to get his adenoids taken out the day it snowed and he could not enjoy it. He did enjoy 2 gallons of ice cream, however.



The snow left as fast as it came and spring is trying to creep in. My fruit trees are budding out,
welcoming spring and begging it to stay. This is one of my peach trees. I just love the flowers.



My tulips and daffodils are poking up through the ground. I have been planting pansies and dusty millers. Dusty miller has done remarkably well here. I planted some last spring and they lasted through summer and winter and are still doing well.


I have put in two strawberry beds like this one. As the plants spread out and get bigger, I will make more beds and transplant the overgrowth. These beds are in the orchard, by the path I am putting in. I have a tree guy coming over tomorrow to give me an estimate on stump removal. I could not be happier. It is like Christmas for me. I have been waiting so long to get these ugly stumps out of here. The property is really starting to look better and that makes me happy. Our hard work is starting to pay off.

We had a chance to get out as a family. We found a nice trail not too far away and spent the day hiking. It was so nice to get out in the sunshine and take a day off.



Elllie (the white goat) had a miscarriage. I guess Butter did have a chance to breed her before he died. Sadly, she could not carry the baby to term. May (the grey goat) should have been bred as well. I have seen some subtle signs that she may be pregnant. I am really hoping she is. If so, she will kidd in a few months.



Lee built this chicken coop inside the barn for me. I would say "we" built it but all I did was hand him things. He used material left over from when the barn was built. It matches the barn nicely. He did a wonderful job. This is the side view.


Here is the front view. He made built-in nesting boxes with access from the outside of the coop. He put in a large window and a nice walk-in door.


Here is the view from inside the coop. One of the Americana hens is laying a turquoise egg. They are so pretty! I have another Americana that is laying pink eggs that are speckled with brown. These are my favorite chickens! Just don't tell the divas that.



He also put in this multi-level roost......



And a door to the outside. They are happy hens and I'm a happy wife. My husband is so good to me.

No comments: