Thursday, October 29, 2009

One of these things is not like the others..



One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?


Lassie

Old yeller

And yes, even Toto.
All extraordinary dogs.
Brave, faithful, loyal and smart.
They would not go on a savage killing spree.




This one? Weeeeeeeell..He is loyal. Sometimes Brave.
On a good day, faithful but smart? I'm starting to wonder.

This poor, confused, and backward dog from Alaska has no clue what he is doing. He had never seen a reptile in his whole 4 years in Alaska. No snake nor turtle nor frog nor lizard.

Then we moved to Alabama.

Sammy has been bringing us turtles since the spring. At first, he just brought them home and dropped them in the front yard, losing interest quickly.


Then he would chew on them for a moment and lose interest. We were able to get them and hide them in the woods again.

Now, he is eating them.

Yep. Eating them.

He gnaws on the side of the shell until it cracks and then eats the insides.

Not only eating them, but leaving the shells all over the place. He has a serious problem.
He wont touch his bones. Not his Nylabone or his Meat bones.

Isn't that a sign of addiction? Losing interest in things once enjoyed. Upping the amount consumed each time.

He is not chasing deer and does not come when he is called. He is too focused on getting his next fix. He has already had 4 in the last few weeks. He is out of control.

I think we need an intervention.
Anyone have the Dog Whisperer's number?







10 comments:

Anonymous said...

poor turtle!

Camille said...

I know. I feel so bad for them. Sam won't even let us get close enough to take them away now. He will growl and run into the woods with them. He has bones galore but won't even touch them.

Melenie said...

I feel for you. My dog is always bringing in half eaten lizards, birds and bugs.

I am having fun catching up on your blog. Looks like you had a great trip!

Camille said...

We did have a good time on our trip. It is so hard to get back in routine though!

Did you have a nice visit with your sister?

lacochran said...

Is it unusual to eat turtle in Alabama?

*blink*

Camille said...

lol. I don't know if it is unusual or not. Of course, we have only been here a year so I would not really know.

I have never had a dog eat one before though.

Kristy said...

I know exactly how you feel, we never know what kind of carcas is gonna meet us outside the front door!!!

Love and blessings, Kristy

Kristine said...

Hilarious, Camille! Two years ago, we moved from Colorado suburbia to Virginia wilderness. My dog looks like a blue tick coonhound. (Translation: a freak of nature, Halloween dog, with a beagle head on a black and white spotted body.) He LOOKS like he fits in here. But the blue/French part keeps coming out; he's a complete wimp. Even the cat beats him up. But we have found him at the neighbor's, feating on a deer leg bone. Sigh.

Camille said...

Oh my. I bet he is a sight. My dogs like deer leg bones too. lol.

keptwoman said...

Gracious! I'll be thankful that all our cat brings is mice and lizards!